BASEMENT REMODEL GUIDELINES
1: Town of Greenville Application for Building Permit2: Proper Fees--$75.00 base plus $5.00 per thousand of construction cost. Minimum total fee $100.00.
3: Floor plan to include:
- Show location of existing and proposed walls and rooms.
- Include wall measurements, window and door sizes and locations.
- Label all spaces/rooms i.e. Bedroom, Den, Storage etc.
- Location of water heater/electric panel/furnac
Bedrooms in a basement require:
- Egress window in room or two exits out of basement (If using the two exit scenario, exits must be located more than 50% of basement distance apart and have different ways to get to them. Windows used for Exiting Requirements
- Light and Ventilation Requirements — Eight (8) % light and three and one-half (3.5) % ventilation based on floor space.
- Smoke detector inside and outside of room. (Electrically connected with battery backup)
- Exhaust fan to outside.
- 20 amp circuit specifically for bathroom receptacle and must be ground fault interruption (GFI) protected.
Items that must be considered:
- Electric panel requirements – 30” wide by 36” deep open space.
- Outlet locations and size of wire.
- Gas shutoffs.
- Closet lighting.
- Insulation type.
- Ceiling – drywall or suspended.
- Hallway width minimum 36”.
- Wall coverings.
- Water shutoffs.
- Heat and cold air runs.
- Proper makeup air for furnace and water heater.
- Basement Heaters – unvented gas space heaters illegal for use in the State of Wisconsin.
- 3 Foot Landing at bottom of stairway if door at bottom.
BEFORE building anything you must first check the shoreland, wetland and airport zoning.